Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A wedding, a wedding

Oh my gosh, a wedding blog. Original, right, haha.


Anyways, Rob proposed to me back in December, the 17th to be exact. He was kind enough to not propose on Christmas. He also proposed to me at camp. It makes our entire relationship come full circle. He's so good.


Anyways, we settled for a long engagement. Our wedding date isn't until June 1, 2013. That gives us a year and half. But now it's three months in and the planning has begun. We've settled on colors (after much disagreeing, what a point of contention that was), a venue for everything (ceremony, reception, hotel block), caterer (in house through our venue) and other small details. Things like the possible cake topper we plan on ordering, possible wedding party gifts, the color of the bridesmaids dresses and suits/ties/shoes, etc.


We still have a lot to do, and as much as I just want to go crazy and do everything NOW, I'm not letting myself because I'm going to want to have things to do when the times gets closer. I mean, we're still about a year and three months out, so no need to go planning crazy just yet.


One thing we did jump on quickly was save the dates. Now, I like to occasionally chat on The Knot CNY board and on the "Wedding Wednesday" update a week or so ago, I mentioned I sent out my save the dates already. Someone curiously  asked me "why so soon?" To be honest, I've seen those list of "what you should do when" like how during the sixth month out from your wedding day is when you SHOULD send out save the dates. Honestly, I'm going to do things in any order I please. I understand some things are contingent on others, like I should buy a dress first before picking out jewelry and have a final guest count before deciding on how many centerpieces to make. But sending out save the dates this early was done out of courtesy for our families. I'd say about 98% of our family is from out of town, 95% from out of state with the potential of one from out of the country. Rob's family, the most of them anyway, will be coming from Chattanooga and Biloxi and bringing enough small children to man an army. And traveling with kids is never easy. It's just polite to give guests who need to make so many travel and vacation accommodations as much time to figure it out as possible. I've never understood why six months is "the time" to send out save the dates. I mean, wedding season is also prime vacation season, and if you want people to not go "oh, sorry we already have a vacation planned for that weekend", giving them a wide time frame is beneficial to you, the ones getting married. And because we sent them early, we did magnets to avoid having people toss them out or lose them between now and invitations in about a year, or whenever a billion bridal time lines tell me I'm supposed to send them. 


I'm currently on the hunt for a photographer. We were going to use Lauren Spinelli because she worked at camp with us for a few years and we were very comfortable with her. But now she's moving to Florida and we just can't afford those travel expenses. So photographer hunting is my main prerogative right now.


I did have a lot of fun going bridesmaids dress shopping with four of my  five ladies last weekend. Going into bridal boutiques and making decisions makes me feel like a bride. Being engaged was surreal at first, but now it feels like nothing's really changed. Rob and I still live together, as we have for a while now and our relationship hasn't really changed. We just have a lot of new things to talk about with all this planning.


I think I can manage to update this mostly regularly, more so as the day gets closer. I'm supposed to start a new job on Monday, but I have yet to go fill out the paperwork to make it official. I'm the first hired person to be subjected to their new background check policy and it's taking longer than anticipated. I also have grad school still. But I'm on par to get a 4.0 again this semester, so I'm not sweating that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment